Boju Boju. (Back yard Back yard)


I don't know if this justifies the assertion that girls are relatively wiser than boys their age, but in my hood we believed it.
We played boju-boju as children.  This game entailed a group of kids hiding from one. The kids who won these games were great at hiding. Usually, we'd throw lots at the front of the house to pick who would search out the others first. Once it was decided, the other kids would run to the back yard to hide, while the unlucky one sings;

Boju boju oh... Hey!

Akara mo...hey!

Ekusi...        Hey!

Oluwa mbe..  Hey!

If I catch you... Hey!

No cry oh...    Hey!

No tell your papa oh...

No tell your mama oh...

Boju boju, catch am for me...  Bamboo!

Then set out to find the other kids. Anyone found first and caught, would take his place.

It was at these hiding places that these things transpired. What we call back yard back yard. In the course of hiding once, a girl hid in the same place as i, coincidentally. It was my secret spot,anytime I hide there, no one finds me. So she stayed there with me for so long and I guess she became bored. She said, 'let's do mummy and daddy'.

I knew mummy and daddy but I knew not what it meant to do 'daddy and mummy.'

'How?'

She lay down on the ground, raised her dress up, beckoned to me saying,

'Pull your knicker, lie ontop of me.'

I was fascinated.

Comments

Fan Favorites